I just want to know the difference between regression testing and retesting. Please help.
- Regression testing is often called generic testing but retesting is called planned testing.
- Regression testing is done on the test cases that are passed but retesting is done on the test cases that are failed.
- Regression testing is done to make sure that newly added code does not have any adverse effect on existing functionalities but retesting is done with the aim of defect fixes.
- Regression testing should always be part of testing process when the existing code is being updated but retesting can only be a part of testing when a defect found in the existing code.
- Defect verification is not included in regression testing but in retesting the defect verifications are are included.
- Regression testing can be done in parallel with retesting based on resource availability but retesting is always performed before regression testing.
- Regression testing is possible with automation but retesting is not.
You can also watch this video if you want to know more about the differences between regression testing and retesting: